As Woodstock and Woodstock North prepare to begin the process of transitioning out of the Fox Valley Conference for a new league, who will join the Blue Streaks and Thunder remains in question.
But at least two other local teams– Johnsburg, which is leaving the FVC for the Big Northern Conference after this school year and Richmond-Burton – doesn't appear to be in play, at least initially.
Johnsburg athletic director Tom Ross said Wednesday afternoon that the school has not been part of discussions "at this time" about possibly joining a new league which would begin play in the fall of 2015. R-B athletic director Pat Elder said Wednesday that his school is "not interested" in joining a new athletic conference and will remain in the BNC.
Ross said Johnsburg has made a two-year committment to the BNC, meaning the Skyhawks would be locked into BNC play through the spring of 2016. According to league guidelines, schools must give their respective conferences a two-year notice that they plan on leaving.
Asked if they have had such discussions with BNC officials, Ross replied, "Not at this time."
At R-B, the district's athletic advisory committee discussed the school's options Tuesday. When contacted, Elder initially denied that the committee met and later denied that a new conference was discussed.
But, after being informed that an agenda for the meeting was posted online, Elder acknowledged the committee met.
"We're not interested in joining a different conference," Elder said.
Asked if the school had been approached about leaving the league for a new conference, Elder replied, "I'm not your guy on that" and referred further questions to R-B principal Tom Lind.
Lind could not be reached for comment Wednesday night and did not immediately reply to an e-mail.
Elder later emailed: "While our committee met to discuss some things happening with other schools in the area, RBCHS is a committed and longstanding member of the BNC, and that is where our interests remain."
Woodstock principal Corey Tafoya said Tuesday night that he has been involved in internal discussions within District 200 about the leaving the FVC for 18 months and that he has talked with other schools about the possibility of joining a new league. He told District 200 board members Tuesday night that the two schools would not travel any more distance for games than they do now.
Tafoya declined to specify what schools – or how many – he has been in conversations with. District 200 board members are expected to vote on the proposal to move the two Woodstock schools out of the FVC in December.